New Immortal: Ragnar Lothbrok
First look at Ragnar Lothbrok (release date 15th march)
What do we know we know?
- Ragnar will be a water Immortal and a frontline fighter.
- You can unlock and max him via the Legion of Frostborne (SvS) shop and max him with the gem-lootboxes you can purchase after the end of an SvS season (see guide on SvS loot).
What do we think we know?
- Given his stance and his weaponry, it would be a pretty safe bet that Ragnar is either a tank Immortal – or atleast a very defensive melee. This would also make sense given the rest of the water element roster: Water has Herald, Attila, etc. but the closest they come to a tank is Ramsses who is more of a defensive melee than a true tank in my opinion.
Hence, it would make a lot of sense for IK to release a true tank to complete the water roster. Water will now have access to all types of Immortals, phys front and backline, magic dmg, defensive melee, offensive melees, support backline, control-centric toons and now a tank.
- I suspect we can unlock him in more ways than one. We know he is a reward from SvS and can be found in the lootboxes we need to grind out anyway with all our gems for new ability stones. BUT will he also be in the shop? I don’t think he will appear in the pearl shop, as that seems exclusively for the King of the Hill Immortals (read my KoH guide). But I do think that the recent release of Muhammad ll aka. Mehmet II as a “seasonal Immortal bundle” is the development team testing new ways to release Immortals. As such, it is quite likely that Ragnar will also have a bundle you can purchase at a relatively low cost (see cost of maxing Muhammad II here) – a bit more expensive than Attila and Alexander the Great, etc. if you go only with bundles, and cheaper since you will likely get a lot of his Fragments as you try to grind out SvS lootboxes anyway.
- Will he be any good? Utterly impossible to tell yet as we don’t know his exact ability and stats. But for now, we can praise ourselves lucky if we run water, since we might just finally be able to compete if a defense meta comes back around.